Monday, March 31, 2008

Happy Spring



I love Spring. It's one of my favorite seasons. It's a time of new beginnings, of rebirth, a time when flowers poke their noses through the frozen earth and declare their intentions, when baby birds chirp out their delight in being born. There is nothing like being able to open your windows and let the fresh air into your house after spending a winter cooped up.



I remember when I was little and we lived in Ohio, my Mom would throw open the windows and the house would smell so fresh. She would do her spring cleaning, and she always had a clothesline that she hung the curtains and sheets on, and there was/is nothing like the smell of clean sheets that have been dried on a clothesline in the cool spring air.

When you are a kid in the north, winter is fun because you get to ride on your sled in the snow, but spring means you can get your bicycle out and play with your friends outside after school. Times were simpler then. We didn't have video games or computers, so we actually played outside after school and during the summer. I think we were healthier, and I know we developed friendships and interacted with each other in ways that today's children don't. We weren't latchkey kids, our mothers didn't work outside the home. They didn't have to.

Yeah, I know, we don't have snow and ice in Florida in the winter, but it's still the same. You know that in a few weeks the weather will be hot and will last that way for many months, and so you enjoy the last of the cooler weather.

Oh, gee, I didn't mean to get on a soapbox...

Let me just say, I hope you have a happy spring....


No comments: