Friday, January 28, 2011

Mystic Bar Mix

Good morning.  During the Christmas holidays I told you that I was making some different treats for the holidays, and if any of them were keepers I would share the recipe with you.  Well, one of them as exceeded all expectations of being a keeper.  It is so good, in fact, that I have made 4 batches since Christmas.  I changed up the recipe, so I will share my altered version with you.  It's yummy!

What you will need:

  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup butterscotch bits
  • 1/4 cup Heath bar toffee bits
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 3/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/3 cup butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in 13 x 9 pan and heat in oven until melted. Remove from oven
  2. Place dry ingredients in large bowl and mix well.  Add sweetened condensed milk and stir until well blended. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
  3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
These bars remind me of bars I used to get at a bake sale when I was in high school (that's going back quite a ways). They were sooooo good, and I had never seen the recipe anywhere.  When I saw this recipe in a magazine, it was very similar but not quite.  The recipe in the magazine called for raisins and no butterscotch or toffee bits.  I'm not a big fan of raisins, so I left them out and reduced the chocolate chips so I could add the butterscotch and toffee bits. The result is fantastic.  Everyone who samples them wants the recipe, so I'm sharing it with you too.  If you give it a whirl, leave a comment and let me know how you like them.  

1 comment:

Juliet A said...

This is a lot like Hello Dolly bars or 7 Layer bars, except this is the first time I've seen oatmeal in the recipe - it sounds like a great addition! I will have to try making them this way!