Monday, October 26, 2009

Over The Moon Monday - Halloween Challenge

I hope you had a restful weekend. One of my favorite holidays is coming. Can you guess what it is? If you guessed Halloween, you are absolutely right. My husband and I usually dress up to hand out candy to the little trick or treaters, although I don't think that's going to happen this year. We have also been known to attend a party or two (and even win prizes), but that's not going to happen either. We have made some pretty elaborate costumes over the years, and always enjoy it.

Anyway, I wanted to share a card that I made using my cuttlebug. As usual, after I finished the card, there were a few things I would have done differently, but I still like the way it turned out.
To begin, I ran a sheet of white cardstock through the cuttlebug, using the haunted house template. Then I smeared purple ink over it. (This is one of the things I would do differently - I would just use purple cardstock next time.) Set this aside to dry.
  • Then I ran a piece of black cardstock through the haunted house embossing folder. I took an exacto knife and cut out all the windows and around the door, and I cut out the basic haunted house shape. I smeared white Brilliance ink on this to give it a grungy look.
  • I put green cardstock behind all the cut out windows, and put a little glitter on it to give it some shine. Then I adhered the black cardstock to the background.
  • I cut out the moon with an exacto knife from the purple background. I put a piece of yellow cardstock behind the cut out circle, and added some depth and shading with copic markers.
  • While I was at it, I colored the bats black, and used a white gel pen to make white dots for their eyes. When the white was dry, I colored over the white with red marker, making them have red eyes.
  • I took a gold gel pen and colored in the fence on the roof and also to the left of the house. Also, the balls on the top of the house.
  • I used a silver gel pen to color the stair rail on the right side of the house. I also colored in the shutters.
  • I stamped a ghost border from My Paper Moon, and cut out a couple of the ghosts. I used pop dots to make them stand out.
  • I used a white gel pen to write "Happy Halloween" on the bottom of the card. (I had a small stamp, but it didn't look quite right.).
  • All in all, I like the way this turned out. I think I might make one with a bright green sky background and see how that looks.

    I hope you have enjoyed the card today. If you have a halloween card to share, please post a link in the comment section.

    I have added some more cards to the gallery at My Paper Moon. I hope you have some time to take a look and let me know what you think. If you have any cards that use My Paper Moon stamps and would like to see them in the gallery, please email me or post a link in the comment section. I'd like to see them, too.

    Have a great week!

    1 comment:

    Shelly said...

    I love your Halloween card, Becky. Very creative!