Sunday, August 19, 2007

Encaustic Art

Good morning!

I'm trying to stay cool and beat the heat today, so I wanted to share a new favorite technique with you today. It's Encaustic Art, and very easy to do...


In this piece I used blues and greens crayons.

Here are the supplies you'll need:

  • cardstock
  • Staz-On or permanent ink
  • stamps
  • crayons
  • aluminum foil
  • iron

And this is how you do the project:

  1. Stamp your image with a permanent ink on your cardstock. You can't stamp the image later, it won't stamp.
  2. Cover the bottom of your iron with aluminum foil and turn your iron to a low heat setting.
  3. Turn the iron upside down, so the aluminum foil is facing you and is flat. Scribble on the aluminum foil, melting the crayons.
  4. Turn the iron over and swipe across the cardstock.

You can add layers of color as you go, and you don't need to make the entire thing color...some white showing through will give it interest.

A variation of this technique is to iron the paper after stamping your image, and while the paper is still warm, color the image, then run the iron back over it to melt the wax. When I do it this way, I don't take my time and try to stay between the lines, I just want the colors to be where they should be if it's a detailed piece.

Hope you have enjoyed this technique and will try it out soon!

No comments: