Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Yupo paper

Good morning.  I hope this finds you well.

I have been dabbling in mixed media, and I have discovered Yupo paper, which is a paper made from plastic and is untearable.  I think it's perfect for alcohol inks.

I am just beginning the journey of discovery, but I wanted to share with you my discoveries so far:


I dropped small drops of alcohol ink onto Yupo paper and let it spread.  Then I spritzed it with alcohol and copic blending fluid.  I love the variations of color.


For this piece, I ran the Yupo paper through the cuttlebug with an embossing folder first, then added drops of alcohol ink.  The channels of the embossed piece helped to spread the ink.  Then, I added inka gold paste to the piece, which gave it a sheen that you can't see in the scan. Then I left it alone for awhile.  Finally I took a fine sharpie marker and outlined the channels and immediately wiped it off, which kind of "antiqued" the piece.  It's very much more subdued than the first piece.

I haven't tried using watercolors on it yet...that will be my next experiment.  I'll keep you posted.


4 comments:

Plush Possum Studio said...

I've never tried Yupo before. A friend swears by the stuff, and she uses watercolors with hers. I like both pictures. Aren't alcohol inks brilliant?
Happy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Wow it looks great. I haven't tried yupo yet but it takes an emboss beautifully. Fabulous right colors too! xox

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

This looks brill! I never thought of embossing yupo!

Jo Moxie said...

Hi!
This is so cool! Thank you for blogging this.
I have a cuttlebug and LOVE the idea of using this paper on it.
Can you tell me what kind I can use to do this? I also want to be able to use it for my art journals so I would want to use other mediums like glue, crackle pastes, acrylic... can I do that? There are so many options on the Yupo site and I have no idea what I would need to use.

Cheers!!